sábado, 13 de noviembre de 2010

September III- New Zealand: where I met myself

I had really intense moments in New Zealand therefore I find it hard to start writing about them. Each and every day I spend in that island made a small change in me. At the moment I am catching up with real life after going through a bad love experience, and maybe that is why I lived each event in a really intense way. I have never felt before the strength of the wind as I felt it in New Zealand. It was so strong that I could hardly manage to keep my van on road. Even the green of the grass is greener, like if it would shine brighter! I saw the most beautiful landscape I have ever seen during those 3 weeks, New Zealand is just amazing.

On my way to Wanaka

My days on the island began in a really cozy backpacker, the “Choice Plaza Backpackers” run by a chelonian woman, I found myself surrounded by South American people. Honestly I would not recommend New Zealand as a place to learn English as I was speaking Spanish almost all day! I slept with 7 boys in a tiny room, and there is where I started realizing how important is to have your own room! As soon as I got to the hostel I met Adrià Tregon, and old mate from my school in Mataró. Five long years had passed since we last saw each other for the last time, but after some beers we realize that we haven’t changed much! Two days later we were getting drunk at the pub with some friend of him and we had a great time at “Margarita”.

Having fun in "Margarita"

During my days in Auckland I went to visit the museum(www.aucklandmuseum.com/) and it gave me the opportunity to get closer to the Maori culture. I had the privilege to see a Maori performance where they showed us their traditional weapons as well as various dances. It was a magic experience. You could feel their voices going from your ears directly to your heart. As soon as they finished dancing the “Jaka” (the dance that they use to scare their enemies) one man from the audience stood up and started talking in Maori to the group performing. When he finished talking eight of his students start contratacking with their Jaka. No one was expecting that to happened and it was another magic moment.

Maori Performance

I don’t like cities that much so after two days in Auckland I decided it was time to visit the real New Zealand. I hired a van (http://www.wickedcampers.com/) and I started my trip to the North Island. I wanted to do it on my own but one of the Argentinian guys staying in the same backpacker asked me if I could take him to Tauranga (around 300km far) and I accepted (what a mistake!!). Chipi (the Argentinian guy) and I started our way to Tauranga around 11am he was in charge of the map and I had to concentrate driving on the left for first time. WE knew we had to take the road nº 1, and we ended up in “1 North” (although we had to go South...) Chipi told me “Don’t worry, we are going South but the name of the Road is “1 North”” I drove for more than 1 hour after I diceded to stop the car suspecting we were not going south at all. Not really surprisingly we had been going north for more than one hour, so we had to turn around and take the right Road. It is funny now but it wasn’t funny at all when it was happening! Ha ha what it was supposed to be a 3h journey ended up being a 7h one and we got to see the North of New Zealand!

Run and me

The next day Rug (my van) and I started our trip to the South (the real South). I was 2 weeks driving from the North Island to the South one (much nicer). I had the amazing opportunity to see Sperm Whales in Kaikoura (one the most beautiful places I have ever been) as well as dolphins and seals. In Oamaru I could see yellow eyed penguins and blue penguins (the smallest penguins in the world! They are just 40cm!) As I am not rich, at all, I went to sleep to camping every other day so I could have a shower. The other days I slept on the Road or in the forest. I couldn’t be closer to nature during my trip.

Yellow eyed penguin

In the Ferry from one island to the other (http://www.interislander.co.nz/), I met an extraordinary couple: Maria (from Spain) and Nuno (from Portugal) both living in Pekin! We had an amazing time together and when I totally run out of money in Franz Josef Glacier they rescue me! They were there every time I needed them! Thank you guys!

Nuno and Maria

I was 2 weeks travelling on my own and it was not always easy. During that time I got to know myself better. I realized that I am scared of the silence and most of the time I feel the need to be doing something, like if I would always be in a rush. I learnt to take life easy and to accept my fears as part of me. Some nights when time cached me and the dinner was not ready I had to cook outside the van and I got really scared. It is funny how your mind can play against you. As soon as I was locked inside the van everything was fine.

Me in Kaikoura

This trip has been really important for me. It got to know a new Country as well as a new part from me. I would really recommend to everyone to go there! If you have any further questions from New Zealand don’t hesitate and contact me (lauracervera_graupera@hotmail.com)!!


Wanaka

Soon my report about Tasmania!!

xxx
La de los monos

1 comentario:

  1. Wonderful blog, Laura!
    I have now seen the north island and after New Year I will go to Nelson and start my tour of the south island. I travel with Magic Bus. Sometimes I wish I had hired a camper to get away from all the backpackers. But mostly it is good to have company.
    All the best to you in 2011!
    Lene (from Waltzing Mathilda)

    ResponderEliminar