sábado, 18 de diciembre de 2010

Australia I:How dry leafs and spanish ham can become terrorism

In case that there is someone reading this, here it is my first report of my days in Australia:

After my “exiting” days in Tasmania I flied to what they call “The mainland”. When I got to the airport I went through costumes where they make you show them all kind of animal or plant products as well as food, dirty shoes…During my last trips around the world I have been collecting leafs from different places and I keep them in my diary. As they are plants I had to show them to the “lovely” lady at costumes and she decided that they were too dangerous for their country and they trough them away. You never know how many catastrophes some dry leafs can cause to Australia...

After sharing a 15 girl dorm during one week i decided to reward myself with a 4 shared dorm in a nice hotel! :) When I got to the hotel there was a package from my parents waiting for me with some letters, some presents and the most important thing: Spanish ham! When I opened the package and the only thing that i found (apart from the postcards and the presents) was a letter from the department of costumes saying that they took the ham away because it could be really dangerous! ARGHHH! I was so angry! I knew it is forbidden to get any kind of food to Australia but we wanted to try…At that time of my trip I asked myself if it was a good decision to come to Australia.

Luckily as soon as i met Nuno and Maria for a coffee I forgot about the Spanish ham! We went to for a walk to see the Opera House, the Botanic gardens and finally the famous district called “The Rocks”. We had a great time together; we ate, drank and explored Sydney always with our lovely lonely planet guide!!!The last day around Sydney I went to Taronga Zoo – highly recommended!


From Sydney I took the train to Richmond to become a WWOOfer (www.wwoof.com.au) for first time. As Spanish people can’t get the working holiday visa I had to fins I way of saving some money. When you become a woofer you work in a farm for 4-5h a days in exchange of food and accommodation. My first farm is run by a couple in their 70s were they celebrating weddings in their lovely garden. The first thing that the woman asks me after knowing that I have been travelling for a while was: “You should check if you have bed bugs with you!” They live in this kind of houses where you don’t feel comfortable at all because everything has its own place. You know what I mean? Too posh for me.


I was just 7 days with them but I couldn’t be even one more day with that blond woman with a fake smile always in her face. Luckily I was working every day in the garden with her husband. I send the sunny days weeding the garden and the rainy days cleaning their silver cutlery or their fridge. One of my last days I was weeding the rosemary when I got stung by a paper wasp and it really really hurt. Sadly because of the hot weather it got infected and I had to be on antibiotics for more than one week.


When my days on Agnes Banks ended I made my way to Newcastle with and infected leg. I spend two rainy and grey days in Newcastle feeling alone and homesick. They were no pleasant at all! I just hoped my next farm would be better than the first.

The next farm is located 3h away from Newcastle and the closest town is Meriwa 20 minutes away. Rocky Creek (the name of the farm) is a wildlife refuge run by a unique couple: Sandra and Jeremy. Their job is to take care of native wildlife in order to release them once they are self-sufficient. Rocky Creek is a big family: 3 dogs, 2 cats, 3 donkeys, 2 horses, 8 rabbits, 2 possums, 2 wombats, 2 kangaroos and 1 wallaby!!



The day starts at 7.30 preparing the milk bottles for Radar, a beautiful Eastern grey kangaroo and Lilly a naughty wombat that loves to bite your ankles! After that cleaning dishes and washing dirty pouches follows. It is a total of 11 bottles a day which means that the first day you feel extremely lucky to be able to feed a kangaroo and the second week you think is something normal!
Every Friday we went to “Bible Study” where they discuss about different fragments of the bible and they try to apply them to their own life. Although I’m not religious I have to admit I had a great time during those hours every Friday night sharing my experiences with amazing people. They are so amazing that Jenny and Ted (form the Bible Study and friends of Jeremy and Sandra) prepared a party for my birthday day with balloons and cake!


The 16th of November I decided it was time to continuo my trip around Australia and go to visit the east coast so I started my way to the NORTH!

To know have i ended writing this in the same farm one month later don't miss the next report!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario